The Oak Cottage of Santa Barbara is separated into three inviting neighborhoods, specifically designed for residents challenged with cognitive impairment, including Alzheimer’s Disease and age-related dementia.
Each neighborhood is encircled by 11 to 15 apartments opening directly onto a gracious and secure grand room. The grand room is broken down into easy to reach areas for dining, activities, and views to outdoor patios and deep-set porches. The building has a secured perimeter both from inside and out.
The design of the community follows a traditional Arts and Crafts bungalow style common in the Santa Barbara historic downtown area. Our outdoor gardens are crowned by a spectacular oak tree at its center, namesake for our community.
We offer three different floor plans to accommodate most of the needs of our residents. We currently feature private studio, shared studio and companion studio apartments. You may click on the photos to view a larger image of each apartment, but you are encouraged to contact one of our friendly and helpful staff members to schedule a tour.
Services & Amenities
Our staff is available 24 hours a day, and our programming is specially calibrated to respond to the changing needs of our residents. The following is included in our basic monthly residential care fee:
- A vibrant Music and Memory program with individual musical playlists prepared for each resident on a personal I-shuffle. The Oak Cottage is the only community in Santa Barbara that is certified for this program. Regular Live Musical entertainment from some of the best musicians in the county. From Classical, to Swing to Old time favorites our musicians don’t miss a beat!
- Daily activities program, includes outings to local Santa Barbara attractions such as: S.B. Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Historical Museum, Farmers Market, Scenic Drives, Movies and more.
- A comprehensive meal program, including three nutritious and delicious meals prepared by our superb chef and a variety of snacks and drinks throughout the day to tempt the palate, stimulate hydration and maintain overall well-being.
- Medical oversight by our Wellness Nurse to monitor overall health includes working with residents’ physicians, monitoring medications and responding to changes in physical and cognitive ability.
- A beautiful apartment with significant natural light and lovely views, ease of access to an accessible bath room, a small refrigerator, snack counter, and private storage.
- Flat linen and towel service weekly or as needed.
- Personal laundry done by our caregivers. No co-mingling of clothing with other residents’ laundry, ever.
- WIFI access throughout the community and within apartments.
- Climate controlled environment to maintain resident comfort year-round.
- Transport to and from medical services and appointments.
- A personalized care plan specifically tailored for each resident, inclusive of their cultural preference and historical references.
- An unobtrusive Stanley Healthcare Wanderguard system to monitor residents and control unexpected elopement from the community.